The preamp/control unit is the heart of any hi-fi system. The Allegri Passive Autotransformer preamp is a very small control unit with a very big heart. It is rated by some very critical and highly experienced high-end hi fi reviewers as the best sounding preamp at any price. It is exceptionally transparent, has absolutely no noise and enormously wide bandwidth. The Allegri has vanishingly low distortion, very powerful and deep bass and amazing drive throughout the audio band. Treble is crystal clear with not a hint of hardness or brashness.
Preamps of today do not require gain as all quality source components have an output of about 2 volts with a low output impedance. Any competent power amplifier will achieve full output with typically 1 volt and have a high input impedance. Unlike conventional passive controllers the Townshend Allegri matches the impedance requirements of source and amplifier so that full dynamics are retained.
• Fractal-Wire ™, results in the most accurate, uncoloured and open-sounding preamplifier possible – with astonishing transparency and resolution of fine detail.
• Purely passive device eliminates signal degradation caused by mains-born noise.
• 6 inputs, 2 outputs.
• 24 position volume control provides gain change from +4dB to -60 dB.
• Mute switch to select off at any volume setting.
• DC coupled with no capacitor in the signal path for ultimate sound quality.
6 x RCA (Pairs)
N / A
2 x RCA (Pairs)
N / A
Maximum Signal Level:
4V RMS - 8Hz
10V RMS - 20Hz
Maximum DC Offset:
5mV (For undistorted 8Hz)
8Hz - 100kHz +/- 0.1dB
Dimensions (W x H x D):
127 x 45 x 305mm